Friday, August 6, 2010

On being creative


A pen, a needle, brush or some kind of tool - I will always have one or more of these things in my storage boxes. I also pick up every little lost feather, button, pretty leaf or anything that catches my eye - probably with some arts and crafts in mind. I don't just want to, but I need to create something beautiful every now and then. It's a good way to express myself and I normally learn a lot when I paint, sew or write. Some people might wonder whether there is any useful purpose to this. Well for me, it's a way to take everyday items and shape them into something special so that they will remain in my life and in my heart. Maybe in a way, I am bringing a little bit of God into the world too. I read somewhere that our wonderful God of everything dwells in all loveliness in form, colour and texture. God made some things just for His pleasure, and our pleasure too - did flowers have to be so delightful and magnificent mountains so breathtaking? God went through so much trouble to make our earth a beautiful place. So, I almost see it as my duty to beautify my own little corner of the world in some small way. Beauty nourishes the soul and makes a still place for itself in our over stimulated minds. Creativity refreshes us and make us fall in love with the universe all over again.

Today I will once again pull out that waterpainting kit. Who knows who I'm about to bless with a kind gift!

7 comments:

  1. Creativity in process is absorbing and almost doesn't feel like work. It is deeply satisfying: a sense that this is what God is calling us to create in order to enrich the world...or at least a piece of it. Paint away!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Trix, your blog is growing in leaps and bounds and your writing is so.o.o.o.o good! I'm sorry that I haven't had a chance to do the little additions to your blog yet - but one day soon you'll open your blog and...walla! XX Fiona

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for checking out my posts and for the comment Fiona...you are such a busy lady! I have changed my mind about what I want you to do - just wait until I see you again (maybe Thursday?)
    No rush for anything.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just love that "zoned out" feeling that being creative brings: intense concentration that even blocks out the passing of time.

    How lovely that you are able to be creative in so many diverse ways!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for stopping by my blog. I totally love what you wrote in your profile about blogging. It was exactly how I felt 4 years ago when I started my first blog. I am now an empty nester and all my girls have moved far away. It was a tough time and blogging, along with connecting with amazing people to lift me up and pray for me, has been a real outlet for me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would love to see some of your watercolor paintings! Any chance you'd post some here on your blog? :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sjoe, Theresa, jy is werklik baie talentvol met soveel skeppende gawes. Dis 'n fees om te lees wat jy skrywe en dit laat 'n mens altyd dink...

    ReplyDelete